Monday, 18 June 2012

Perpetuating the Myths

I'm talking gay stereotypes. The bulldyke, the screaming queen. You know them, I know them. Heaven forbid anyone should write about them. Because, y'know, they're stereotypical. Most gay people aren't like that. Most gay people hate to be associated with people like that. Most gay people are ordinary men and women just like you and me who feel no particular urge to fill their lives with glitter and sparkles.

How dull for them.

Continue reading at KateAaron.com

2 comments:

  1. I think you're becoming part of my conscience. As a gay male (who likes m/m romance novels), I've had moments of inner conflict over men demonstrating 'negative stereotypes'. I like to think I'm pretty accepting, let's say 93.6% accepting. But I've had moments of judgementalism over other men (friends even) being flamboyently different.

    I never considered myself 'wrong' in those moments of judgementalism, but I can see where some of it is a bit self-hateish. Thanks for this post. I may be a better person in the future for having read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol that's a very specific percentage! We all have those eye-roll moments, that's just part of being human. What I can't stand are the people who constantly sit in judgement of their fellows just because they're different.

    But from now on you can call me Jiminy Cricket, it has a good ring to it ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Join the debate!